Sunday, June 7, 2009

Three shows coming up that will make you feel like it's 1988 ...(NJ and NYC)

For those of us who were learning how to color inside the lines during the '80s, this is our chance to go to a show, block the camera phones and digital cameras out of sight, get your pointy black boots on, and dance around like it's 1988.

PSYCHEDELIC FURS
Friday, June 12- House of Blues, Atlantic City, NJ- $25- Ages 18+
Saturday, June 13- Wellmont Theatre, Montclair, NJ- $23- All Ages
(click on the link for tickets)

These guys are awesome live! They have a lot of energy after all these years. Richard Butler has nice dance moves and is really sweet. Last time I saw them, he held on to my hand and sang his heart out... Yes, I melted even though he's in his 50's. I also recall him ripping up a dollar bill and fans going crazy to grab the pieces..(I got some!) They play a variety of songs from their albums and not just their hits like "Pretty in Pink".
Photo by Jeremy Brooks

PETER MURPHY
Monday, July 6 and Tuesday, July 7, Highline Ballroom, $35, All Ages

C'mon dude... It's Peter Murphy! Bauhaus? King of da Goffics? (haha) I've never seen him live, but I've heard that his shows are an experience that people never forget. From things like him giving the microphone to the audience and doing a Q&A session with them (how sophisticated!) and other things like covering Joy Division, he doesn't seem to disappoint.
Photo by Charlois



This is the show at the top of my priority list. I can't and will not miss this show. I've never seen them, but that doesn't matter. I know this show is going to be amazing because The Church is just that. If you don't have a copy of Of Skins and Heart and/or Starfish, there is something wrong with you! They are really underrated and deserve a lot more recognition!
Photo by Tiare Hellberg

At least at these venues you have the chance to see them up close and get right up on that stage. Hope to see you there!

2 comments:

  1. Yes. I'll probably only make it to the Church, good update though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to the furs and the church for sure.

    Not too sure about Peter Murphy yet. I always end up missing his shows no matter what.

    ReplyDelete