Friday, May 29, 2009

Simple Minds Graffiti Soul

It's hard for bands like Simple Minds to break away from their one hit that they had it the '80s and it's hard for people like me to get John Bender out of my head and repeatedly sing the "don't don't don't" part of the song.

Sadly, Simple Minds have fallen into the one hit wonders to some due their song "Don't You (Forget about me). I like that song and I'm too a fan of their other hit "Alive and Kicking," but to me, their earlier albums are SO much better. (YES, I SAID IT.... DEAL)
I'm more a fan of songs like "Love Song," which has a Danceteria feel to it and "Chelsea Girl," which has a power pop feel to it.

So when I heard that Simple Minds were coming out with a new album, I was curious to see how it sounded, due to their changes in sound from the late '70s to now.

Graffiti Soul is an album that radios could play comfortably because it's easy listening, but with a little bit of an edge. It's a lot like their albums from the '90s till now, average.

Most of the songs run in the four to five minute range and they could be shorter in my opinion. Yes, I am a fan of songs that are less than two minutes long, but I can tolerate longer songs if I don't get bored with it and it stays inventive. None of these songs did.

I was almost into the third track, "Stars Will Lead the Way," due to it's powerful guitar punch in the beginning, but the song died out very quickly.

I will say that I really enjoyed the guitar on this album. It's very dreary and echoed, which always gains points for me. I also thought that Jim Kerr, lead singer, doesn't sound like he's aged too much either with his smooth voice.

This album seems to be more for hardcore Simple Minds fans. So if you like everything they've made so far, you'd probably love this album.

If you're looking to listen to music where your feet will be enticed and feel like it's 1985, Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment